May 27, 2013

Memorial Day

Today has been a great day off from work, but I have not forgotten the reason behind the holiday. As a matter of fact I have been thinking a lot today about an Uncle I never met. He was killed in World War II when his submarine was sunk. He had a young son and wife at home. My grandmother had a framed letter of condolence from the President that hung on the wall while I was growing up. I heard tales of this hero, my father's brother, as a child, but it was just a story, it wasn't real to me.

This is real:



John Leonard Anderson, Jr.

 Purple Heart
Rank/RateMotor Machinist's Mate, Second Class
Service Number634 66 60
Birth DateOctober 24, 1921
FromLouisville, Kentucky
DecorationsPurple Heart
SubmarineUSS Herring (SS-233)
Loss DateJune 1, 1944
LocationNear Point Tagan, Matsuwa Island, Kuriles
CircumstancesSunk by gunfire from shore batteries


http://www.oneternalpatrol.com/anderson-j-l.htm



No comments: